Poached Pears in Saffron Sauce
- 4 ripe pears
- A pinch of saffron threads
- 2 cups unsweetened pear or apple juice
- 2 cups cardamom tea (brewed from cardamom pods and hot water)
- Edible flower petals (such as rose petals or pansies)
- Freshly roasted pistachio nuts, crushed
Benefits of Saffron:
Saffron not only adds a beautiful golden color to dishes but also offers health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants, can help improve mood, and has been used traditionally for its potential anti-inflammatory and antidepressant properties. Additionally, saffron has a rich history and has been prized as a luxurious spice for centuries.
1. Peel the pears, leaving the stems intact if desired. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear so that they can stand upright.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the pear or apple juice, cardamom tea, and a pinch of saffron threads. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
3. Carefully place the pears into the simmering liquid, ensuring they are fully submerged. If needed, add a bit more liquid to cover the pears completely.
4. Poach the pears in the liquid for about 20-30 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork. The exact cooking time will depend on the ripeness of the pears.
5. Once the pears are cooked, carefully remove them from the liquid and set them aside. Keep the poaching liquid in the saucepan.
6. Increase the heat to medium-high and allow the poaching liquid to simmer and reduce until it thickens into a lovely sauce consistency. This should take around 10-15 minutes.
7. While the sauce is reducing, slice the edible flower petals and crush the roasted pistachio nuts.
8. To plate the dish, spoon the saffron sauce onto individual serving plates. Place a poached pear in the center of each plate.
9. Sprinkle the sliced edible flower petals and crushed roasted pistachio nuts over the poached pears for added visual appeal and flavor.
10. Serve the poached pears warm or chilled, with the saffron sauce and garnishes.
Enjoy the delightful combination of tender poached pears, fragrant saffron sauce, and the added crunch of roasted pistachio nuts. The edible flower petals not only provide a lovely touch but also add a delicate floral essence to the dish. Savor this elegant dessert that showcases the beauty and flavors of saffron.
Note: Remember to handle saffron with care, as it is a precious spice. A little goes a long way in terms of both flavor and color enhancement.