Healthy Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Wilted Swiss Chard Wrapping
- 8 large Swiss chard leaves
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Assorted colorful peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 tablespoons yellow toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ripe mango, thinly sliced
- Almond butter
- Asian sauce for dipping (store-bought or homemade)
Benefits of Swiss Chard Leaves:
Swiss chard leaves offer several benefits as a wrapper for spring rolls. They are a nutrient-dense vegetable rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as antioxidants and minerals. Swiss chard leaves provide a low-calorie, gluten-free, and nutrient-packed alternative to rice paper wrappers.
1. Prepare the Swiss chard leaves by removing the stems and washing them thoroughly. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully place the Swiss chard leaves into the boiling water and blanch them for about 1-2 minutes, or until they become slightly wilted and pliable.
3. Remove the Swiss chard leaves from the boiling water and transfer them to a bowl of ice water to cool. This will help retain their vibrant green color and stop the cooking process. Once cooled, gently pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
4. Lay a Swiss chard leaf flat on a clean work surface. Place a few slices of carrots, cucumber, assorted colorful peppers, edamame, toasted sesame seeds, and mango on the leaf.
5. Roll the Swiss chard leaf tightly, starting from one end and tucking in the sides as you go. Repeat this step with the remaining Swiss chard leaves and filling ingredients.
6. Prepare the almond butter Asian-inspired sauce for dipping by whisking together almond butter and your choice of Asian-inspired sauce (such as soy sauce, tamari, or hoisin sauce) in a small bowl. Adjust the consistency and flavor to your preference by adding a little water or lime juice if desired.
7. Serve the vegetarian spring rolls with the almond butter Asian-inspired sauce for dipping.
Enjoy the refreshing and nutritious vegetarian spring rolls, wrapped in wilted Swiss chard leaves and filled with an array of colorful vegetables, edamame, and juicy mango. The Swiss chard leaves provide an added dose of vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy alternative to traditional rice paper wrappers. Dip the spring rolls into the almond butter Asian-inspired sauce for a delightful burst of flavor. Embrace this vibrant and wholesome dish as a light and satisfying meal.